Saturday, August 15, 2009

cause I'm a bear!

oh what up.

Let me start with our service project that we did on Monday! We went to Rolling Fork, Mississippi to clean up the town! This town is one of the most (if not the most) impoverished towns in the deep south. for real. We split up into groups and worked on fixing up the hospital, cleaning up the graveyard, and fixing up the gym in the high school. My group was assigned the hospital and we did a LOT of painting. My friend Britt and I painted this overhead thing outside one of the doorways. It was a pain in the behind for sure. I had to spend a good 45 minutes bending my back in as close of a 90 degree angle that I could get just to paint underneath it. It was one of the best experiences ever. The people in the town were so excited to have us there. The lady, Susan, who worked in the hospital was absolutely amazing. A lot of people got together and baked us a lot of goodies to snack on during the day and even made us goodie bags to take with us that some awesome random (like huge calculators and dry erase boards) stuff in them. It was really awesome. The rest of the week was just more training. Yesterday we learned the basics of taking off and putting a new roof on a house. I loved it. My friend Alliegh and I got to just bang nails back into the roof after the shingles were taken off and we got really into it. Money.

I've gotten to know my team better and I just have to say........ I love them! We get along so well and I can tell it is going to be a very, very fun 10 months. I feel very blessed to get to work with these amazing people. We got the dets for our first round projects! We are going to restore an old campground on a water reservoir. I think it is going to be totally legit. We get to make horseback riding trails and help restore parts of the campground that still have drastic hurricane damage from Katrina. I think its going to be eye opening actually seeing all the damage that is still left from Katrina that a lot of people have forgotten about; but on the flip side its going to be great actually being able to DO something about it.

I'm so excited to get things done!

2 comments:

  1. Dude you have a freaking blog?! I do not think I knew this. Booyah I'm adding you to mine!!!! Wooooooohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now I've read all your blogs...And you're freaking awesome. I love it! I love how you love to help everyone and you just have a great attitude about everything. Basically, you rock my world.

    ReplyDelete