Thursday, August 27, 2009

let em know

boy, howdy! What an interesting past nine days it has been. Last Tuesday I went down to the river and hung out with two of my favorite people here, just talking and taking in our experience. We ended up jumping into the Yazoo River...which was absolutely disgusting, but a memory I am so thrilled to have. That night was so fun. Many things changed that night... for the utmost better.
The next day was absolutely horrendous though. We had PT in the morning at 5:30 and our day didn't end until a CPR training that lasted until 9pm. Well.. those were the plans for the day, at least. On my way to CPR I got the most ridiculous pains in my lower abdomen. My team leader, Nora, ended up taking me to the hospital where I found out I just had a UTI. I reacted very badly to the pain medicine they gave me and spent the entire next day in bed, hating my life.
The weekend came, though, and life was fantastic again. I hung out with Brit (one of my roomies), Teddy, and my team member Grant (see previous post for brief description). We ended up having a lot of fun down by the River. Grant and I have formed a connection that I cherish so much. He knows exactly how to cheer me up and make me smile, which is something that I have needed a lot of lately. Bonus: he is from Arkansas so he has the southern gentlemen innate quality within him... meaning he is fabulously nice to me, quite the change from those midwestern fellas. I like him... and am very excited to have him in my life. :)
My team had a meeting this afternoon where we worked out a lot of our built up issues. We are trying to communicate better as a team and let out frustrations that we might have with each other. We did this exercise where we wrote down things that were bugging us that each other was doing... it was completely anonymous so we couldn't write our names or the name of the person we were frustrated with with; so when our team leader, Nora, read them aloud I just listened as though all those things pertained to me. It was a compassion builder for me. I knew who most of those things pertained to though, but still listening to them as though someone was saying those things to me made me feel alienated, even though I knew I wasn't the one being called out on annoying behaviors. I made a decision that I'm going to try to be more of an understanding and accepting person. I think that I have a pretty open mind to alternative lifestyles, but I know that I can be very judgmental on people who have annoying quirks or act differently than I do... and that is something that I would really like to work on and change.

in summation, I love my life right now.


"I just think if we keep our hearts together; just think if we build on this trust that we have for one another, baby we can make this last a lifetime"

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I can't believe you had to go to the hospital! I'm glad you're ok and it was only a UTI-Even tho those totally stink..I had one after having Chloe. I'm glad you're having such a great time! You sound like you're seriously loving everything about Americorps right now! Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete