Saturday, August 8, 2009

learning to adapt to change. accept differences. overcome difficulties. and basically just get over it when things bug me. learning to let go. learning to hold on.

today probably isn't the best day to update because i'm kind of grumpy and a tad homesick. but grumpy updates are better than no updatses, yeah?
we got put into our permanent teams yesterday and I'm not too thrilled about it. There is one girl who I've been friends with from day one, kat, who i'm glad is in my group; and then there is grant who is really nice and funny so he'll be a good asset. I don't not like these people, its just right now I don't know them. I knew my old group. We bonded. And it just sucks being ripped away from a group where I fit in so well and had so much fun to a group where I'm unsure and uncomfortable. But thats all part of the experience.
I miss home a lot today. I miss my moms cooking. I miss Hailey and Landon climbing all over me and begging me to help them with puzzles or get them drinks; and I miss gracie yelling at me from somewhere in the house to come look at whatever it was that she would be working on at the time.
I miss my life in edwardsville. Classes are going to start in a few weeks and I still can't believe I won't be there. I miss living with Andrea. I cleaned my room and bathroom today just because cleaning would be the thing that she would have done, and it felt like she was there with me just a little. I miss sitting in starbucks for hours talking about a million different things, chatting with a lot of random people, and getting nothing done we had originally gone to accomplish. I miss Shenanigans nights with all of my friends. I miss just sitting around dancing to the music and trying to name 61 different sports. I miss doing the most random things with Mike. Going to see movies. Picnics in the park. Frosty runs.
I think when you take things for granted you miss them ten times more when they are taken away from you. When you don't realize what you have until its gone, it breaks your heart when you realize you can never get it back; never get the chance to really appreciate it for what it was, what it meant to you.
see, i'm grumpy today.

but i will be alright. things are still ok. my friends here are being supportive and awesome as usual. I do love it here. We get to do our first service project on Monday. We're traveling to a nearby town and doing painting and restoring of some parks and sidewalks. I'm really excited about it!

1 comment: